Biting Bad - Chloe Neill I suppose this could be taken as a review for the Chicagoland Vampires series in general, but I'd rather see it as the closure of a chapter and my take on this long road those of us who got here have taken. Opposite to what most people shared in their reviews, Biting Bad was a necessary step in this story. You may not realize this since you have, indeed, read it, but without it the next installment would have felt inexplicably unsatisfactory, possibly rushed. I think we can all agree that a lot has happened since we were first introduced to Merit in Some Girls Bite. Almost three years, seven books, and two re-reads later, I can still remember that moment. Different screen, room, language and, I dare to say, person, but it was in this very same computer I am now writing this that I read that first scene―Merit's transformation from human to vampire. I would later find out that it was not an average transformation, its doer wasn't there as a causality, the people in the new vampire's life were previously connected to the supernatural, and the things to be dealt with were either incredibly easy or hard enough that it took all eight books to do so. Yet back then all I knew was that a twenty-seven year old college student had become a vampire, and it all started one night when she was attacked on campus. Words like Liege, predator and, obviously, vampire caught my attention. However, what I thought as the main problem was the protagonist coming to terms with herself, with what she had become, and make the best of of it. Through all the first seven books, there were moments when we caught glimpses of it, the slow process, yet I never believed it complete. Until now. In my opinion, by the end of Biting Bad, Merit has not only accepted herself, but elected to be a vampire. After all that, the choice that once was taken away from her was given back, and her mind did such an extreme, even if slow, twist that she willingly picked to be a predator of the night. There are a lot of things unanswered and multiple paths to continue the series, but it could have ended here. So, yes, this book was incredibly necessary for me to be convinced that however difficult, the life Merit leads is the one she has chosen. If you don't find that important then you're missing the whole point the author was making, the first and most important argument. This is not a Paranormal Romance. It's a Urban Fantasy and therefore the tale of a person who realizes her own world contains magic and wonders she never thought possible. Ethan, Mallory, Catcher, Gabriel, Jeff, Jonah, Luc, Celina, Linds, Joshua, Chuck, Morgan, McKetrick―they're only players in Merit's life, which is the main focus. I could have written so much more about the book by itself, but I don't feel it is, at this stage of the game, what's needed. I'll probably write a review as an introduction for those who have yet to start Some Girls Bite at some point. For now, I'll say that this book was outstanding, Chloe's clean writing and structure, which fits me perfectly. I'm eager to read Wild Things.The last thing I'd like to add is how perfect the title is for the book, and the very story I was talking about. Like Merit says at some point, it's not the same biting than biting bad. Great metaphor for the all the people, regardless of species, and the choices they make that are only their own.