On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1) - Samantha Young Rating: 4 entertaining starsMy opinion: Honestly, I don't know what it is about them, but I love New Adult Contemporary Romances. Unlike what the rumors say, they don't necessarily have the best sex, most realistic situations, and most of them sure as hell aren't original. I'd even go as far as to say that most of them are if not completely the same, very alike. Aside from the generic structure, they all touch tough subjects such as death, abuse and addictions of all kinds, violence, etc. Some may not agree with me, but that, I think, may be what attracts me to them. I like sex better in Adult novels and Young Adult tends to manage relationships accordingly to the age stated. However, it's hard for me to find in either of them the amount of trauma the way it's done in NA books. This is not to say that YA and A doesn't have this kind of drama or that it is badly done, not at all. But with NA it's just different, which makes sense since it's a different level (I refuse to think of it as a genre). Other than the mentioned above, the problem about this is that the age range can be manipulated a little bit, so you may have 17-18 years-old, like in Colleen Hoover's novels, or people in their late twenties, like here. I usually judge it by the content included and how the characters act like. You may be asking yourself why I'm sharing my opinion on New Adult here. Well, the answer to that is that I really liked this book. I thought it was truly entertaining. But if you don't usually love some good old (it's actually kind of new term, but whatever) NA CR like me, this is not for you. I only had two problems with this book, one which I quickly got over and another that I didn't, but you will have a thousand if you're not into this kind of thing. As easy as that. About On Dublin Street by itself, I quite enjoyed it. Like the level or genre or whatever, the characters just were my thing. Jocelyn is an independent woman whose whole family died when she was fourteen, only to be followed by her best friend a year later. After all this, Joss went wild. Sex, alcohol, parties. Until one night something happens that makes her realize how screwed up everything was and she moves from California to Scotland, where her mother was from. For four years, she is in a "dry spell". And the cherry on top is the fact that she has NEVER been in a relationship, never let anyone close enough. When the story starts, she meets Ellie Carmichael, her new roommate at a luxurious flat; and Branden Carmichael, hot business man and Ellie's half-brother. Soon Joss realizes that she doesn't really know her best friend at all, she isn't over her family and friend's death as much as she thought, and the Carmichael siblings and their family might be getting inside the shell she has managed to build around her heart. What I loved about Jocelyn was that she was a strong, steel-willed, witty woman, but when she made a mistake or started acting like a fool because of Braden, she recognized it. One of the issues I had with this book is that she, like most leads at some point in this kind of books I may add, has this let's-become-a-martyr phase. I always hate that, yet here it was overshadowed by two facts: Braden never fell for her shit or gave up, and she admitted that she was doing may not be the best, but so far it was what she could handle. There's something to be said about fucked up people who admit their problems and that they can't get over them. It doesn't make them less selfish or closed when the time to make choices comes, but I can appreciate someone who tries when they're scared shitless, even if the bravery only lasts so long. Besides her, I loved both of the Carmichael siblings. I can't describe Ellie in any other way than truly a good person, without becoming stupid. Her character was great by itself and for Joss, and her story with Adam interesting. Braden is kind of a caveman, there's not way around that. You either like it or go home (more like stop reading). I personally loved the guy. He was a scarred, funny, possessive, ambitious, persistent, swoon-worthy son of a bitch, and so fucking great I tell you. Not flawless, he did get a little bit overpossessive when he shouldn't have, but honestly liked by me overall. May I?(Joss) “Gentlemen are gentlemen in bed. They make sure you’re having a good time.”(Braden) “I’ll make sure you’re having a good time, and that you’re okay with everything we’re doing. I just won’t be well-mannered about it.” One of the other reasons why I really liked the book was how it was told. In between of the scenes we get sessions of Joss at the therapist. This was, I think, a replacement for long internal monologues, and I was incredibly glad. And, other than a couple of typos I cringed over, the writing and dialogues were of my liking. Except for one thing. The sex. Oh, my. I get this may be something personal, but I what-the-fuck'd at some of the "dialogue" when Braden and Joss were going for it. Too many "wets" for me to get over it. Too many. Anyway, I'd like to repeat what I said first. This book is for you only if you're into NA. For me, it was a nice read and never once I got bored. Joss dealing with her past was a bit heartbreaking, Ellie was wonderful, Braden and Joss may have had insta-attraction but their love took time, and the Gavin twist was wonderful and totally unexpected. I'm definitely reading Down London Road.“I wanted to create something beautiful in place of all the ugliness.”- Alive or Undead ~ 2013 -