The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, #1) - Jessica Sorensen Rating: 4.5 one-night starsMy opinion: This book messed a little with my head. It's the story of Kayden and Callie, two people who suffer or suffered from some kind of abuse―both physical and psychological. I found it really interesting because usually there's this one chick or guy who is really fucked up and the other one has problems, but mainly just becomes a healer rather than the one who needs to be healed. Well, going through the pages I wasn't sure who was more damaged. In a way, their problems are different, and they lead different lives. She works her issues by closing up physically and he gets inside of more of an emotional cage. However, at the end of the day they are the same―two people pretending to live when all they do is survive, barely. They try to deal with it―Callie by making herself throw up and Kayden with self-harm―, but they don't really see a way out. I strongly believe that if their lives hadn't collided with that very first scene it'd have been a completely lost cause. And that's what I liked so much about the romance. It wasn't insta-love or even insta-attraction, it wasn't insta-hate either. None of them thinks they have anything worth living for. Hell, they don't think they deserve to live, guilt eats them up. The idea of happiness is far, far away. Kayden doesn't believe he's able of good emotions, and Callie believes she's unable of trust. They are broken, and that broke me. For some awkward reason I have affinity to abuse stories (it's not from experience, I just do). Maybe it's because our will, our right to choose is the thing that should never be taken away. If you're not in control of yourself and your life then you can't really decide nothing else―you're trapped, caged, defeated. By the end of it, I think that Kayden's issues are the ones that got me the most, that almost brought me to tears. Callie was taken away her will, but Kayden was taught not to have it. He's so broken, maybe irreparably, that he doesn't fight. Then Callie comes into the picture and she makes him fight, even if it's just for her. This is only the first part, and what I want from the second one is for Kayden to fight for himself, for the life he deserves. I don't just want, I need him to see that he's worth every single fucking thing. So, yeah, maybe this review is one big mess, just like the book. Although, The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden is the best kind of mess.“In the existence of our lives, there is a single coincidence that brings us together and for a moment, our hearts beat as one.”- Alive or Undead ~ 2013 -