Divergent - Veronica Roth Originally posted on Alive or Undead.Rating: 5+My opinion: First of all, I know I'm the last person to read this book. I know you're all now waiting for the third one. I know this is yesterday's news. But I still had to read it. You see, when a book becomes this popular I tend to be wary. If you build up hopes and it turns out to be just another book you feel out of place. Well, against my better judgment, I built up hopes for this book. I did, and I hated myself for it. But, I must say, it was better than I expected. The whole time reading the book I had one thought: I don't know why people get high when you can read this. It was incredible. I felt all the things Tris felt. At all times I had this adrenaline running through my veins I didn't thought possible. There were times when I had to stop because I felt like screaming, or running, so full of something I couldn't quite place. I loved every minute of it. While I'd probably go to Candor, I have Dauntless in me. I understood them, I felt them. This world, the one Roth created, I was amazed by it. In fantasy and science fiction people are usually divided in two ways: by species or by power. Sometimes, like in Harry Potter, we get to see the personalities in this distribution. But, even then, it's a very general, common kind of way. This is different. This is so new and unheard of, yet such an accurate way to see people. And it has a great outcome in the book. Tris' character was just as amazing as the rest of the book. She is, I think, one of the few females in YA literature that makes sense. She is, also, someone who can fight for herself and we clearly see how she got there. Because she doesn't start as a lethal fighter, yet she ends up defeating great entities. The character development as well as realism for all the people are things we don't get in ally books, and it was one of the best things of this one. All the characters are gray, no black and white. Tris, Four, Christina, those I enjoyed from the very beginning. Molly, Eric, Marcus, those I hated most of the time. But then we had some like Jeanine, Tris' mother, or even Peter. Well, I was pretty confused about them. Veronica Roth achieved something that makes her a genius: she made me feel uncomfortable. Creating people with different layers and dimensions makes it so real and human I found myself asking if there's really bad and good, or maybe just people with opinions trying to do the best. Or what they believe it's best. Overall, Divergent was outstanding. With its fast pace and constant twists, I found myself wanting for more not because I needed to know what was going to happen next but with an addiction to the rush. Let's hope Roth keeps it the same for Insurgent.