Half-Blood - Jennifer L. Armentrout Originally posted at Alive or Undead.Rating: 4My opinion: After a long time of my sister insisting me to read this, torturing me merciless, I finally did. I had been warned about its similarities to Vampire Academy, but I hadn't expected it to be that much alike. I think that I didn't give this book five stars because the first half of the book really reminded me of it. I caught myself thinking of Alex as Rose. But, thankfully, the feeling disappeared. As the book progressed, I was able to catch the sense of originality. I must say, it was quite impressive how Jennifer L. Armentrout managed to mix mythology with her own world. You see, the problem I have with books based on mythology is very simple: the gods. While they did indeed play a part in this book, and I'd like to actually see one of them in the future, it didn't take over the whole story. Most importantly, it wasn't dense. Mythology books always seem to turn unbearable at some point. Percy Jackson is my beloved exception. So, I completely understand why some people will read this and think of Richelle Mead's incredibly craft, but Half-Blood took a voice of its own. The characters in this book were great. First of all, I really got to love Alex. She's reckless, brave, caring, funny and, well, stupid at times. I have to admit that at least one of her decisions, and how she continued to back it, was incredibly annoying. But it's, I guess, her flaw. And I'm okay with it. After all, it does make her who she is. She did also make some decisions I cheered her for. I think she has a long journey in which, I hope, will be some major character development. All the secondary characters were just as lovable or at least interesting to read about. Aiden totally made me swoon, Caleb's friendship with Alex was endearing and enlightening, Marcus grew on me, even Alex's mother's memory was something to remember. And Seth. Oh, Seth. You're so turning into a third wheel, or a fated wheel, or maybe you'll become an anti-hero. Either way, I love you and your sassy bluntness. Even though I don't want you to be with Alex. I may be able to agree with friends with benefits as long as she's not with my dear Aiden. The one character I didn't like or sympathized with, and I think that was the point, was Lucian. But the thing that surprised me was that there was never one real villain. There were lots of temporary antagonists—Lucian, Marcus, Seth, Lea, the daimons, etc.—, but none of them were the one thing we get to hate, to blame. It's horrible and terrific at the same time. Very few authors manage to do this, and I love it. Overall, I really enjoyed the book. I think that the series have great potential and wouldn't want it to sink. For a Urban Fantasy featuring the kind of events it does, it was quite a light book. I did like this, but I wouldn't mind a little more deepness put into some of the emotional moments. Or maybe I'm just in a mood, which often happens. I will certainly head quickly into the following book. “Need covers itself with love, but need… need is never love. Always beware of the one who needs you. There is always a want behind a need, you see.”