The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin This book is fucked up. So incredibly, unbelievably, senselessly, unreliably fucked up. I mean, just look at the cover. Is he saving her? Is he drowning her? I don't know! I don't know anything! The only thing I know is that I don't freaking know anything! And it's a beautiful cover. Maybe my favorite cover of all times, but not less creepy for it. Hypnotizing. Addictive. I could stay forever looking at it, trying to figure it out, and I'd still be lost, yet unable to stop. I don't know what to do with that cover. I don't know how I feel about that cover. Do I love it? Do I hate it? I want to know everything about it, every secret behind their pale skin to the greenish water, but I know, I just know the effect would be lost with the mystery. And the mystery, I cannot stand it. It makes me lose my mind. I want to throw that cover, smash it, break it, never have seen it in the first place. I want to give it its own shelf, take the dust off it every single morning, stare at it for the rest of my days. I am in that asylum, everything is crumbling. I want to get out, I want to be crushed by it. This cover, this book, everything about this story makes me crazy. I feel Mara's madness, I am Mara's madness. But is Mara mad? Is this a paranormal book, or a psychological thriller? Or is it both? I want to believe there's a logical, even if supernatural, reason to all this. I need to believe that the school, Noah, the dead insects, everything exists. And I can't. And I can't not believe it either. Everything is so fucked up I can't even put it into words. I reserve my right not to give this book a rating until I can place it, which may be never. I will definitely be reading the next one. And probably the one after that.- Alive or Undead ~ 2013 -