Losing It - Cora Carmack Rating: 5 stars of no regretsMy opinion: I'm going to start by saying something I highlighted before, but I believe deserves to be under one gigantic spotlight. I giggled. Several times. Actually, I couldn't stop giggling while reading. For those who don't know me, you must know I'm most definitely not the kind of person who giggles with a book, or at all. And you may be thinking that the kind of person who doesn't often giggle wouldn't admit to it. To be honest, I'm so dumbfounded that it actually happened—several times, for crying out loud!—that I felt like the world should know about this. It was truly outstanding how much I connected with Bliss, the female lead. Some found her embarrassment at her virgin state stupid, or some of her reactions childish, but I totally got her. Well, maybe not in that context. However, the fear of the things that can't be practiced or done with instructions is one I constantly live with. If I was torn between acting and Stage Management, I'd probably be struggling for the same reasons, too. And if I was twenty-two and about to have sex, I'd freak out the way she did. Hell, I thought she had some quite courageous moments compared to what I would have been able to do. So, I found her unease and general personality truly relatable and kind of endearing at times. And so did Garrick. Honestly, my only problem with Garrick is that his name is Garrick. Now, I usually become fond to all names because it's a character and the way they're called is a part of them. I mean, I think I must be the one person who wasn't bothered by Lola and the Boy Next Door's Cricket Graham Bell. I accepted that it was who he was, and I refused to like him or the book less because of. All this said, Garrick just wasn't a Garrick. Nice blond hair, blue eyes, nice abs and a motorcycle but mostly a nice theater person. That's not a Garrick! Garrick is a, I don't know, seven feet, dark haired werewolf who will hit you if you stare too long (this is not an actual character, just who I think of when the name Garrick pops). The guy Bliss fell in love was the kind of person who reads a book at a bar and isn't trying to pick up on girls. Damn, he has a British accent! That has nothing to do with his name, but I felt like it should be mentioned. Name aside, I fell in love with the guy myself. I saved this quote, which I think describes one of the reasons why I liked this book so much: I was all at once overwhelmed with how much I liked him. Not just in a romantic way. In general. He was kind of amazing. Their relationship didn't feel particularly rushed, and I thought that they really fell in love with each other because of real reasons and not because this is a book. I wouldn't say it's the most realistic story I've ever read, and it certainly wasn't unpredictable, but it didn't feel weird or just wrong at any moment. I was actually glad with the writing. This isn't Tolkien, but it wasn't less because of it. Both the conversations and the inner monologue were fun and easy to follow. I enjoyed myself while reading this, big time. That was the point, right? It was my objective, so this book was perfect for me right now. I needed this. Maybe it isn't an all times favorite I'll recommend all my friends and punish those who haven't read it, but I know I'll be back to it. Much like Bliss, sometimes you have to let go and just have fun. I didn't get a British hottie, but I guess a book that made me laugh, sigh, cheer, giggle, and almost cry is a second best. And I'm going for second because I'd be lying if I said that reading about Garrick's soft blond hair and hypnotizing blue eyes is better than experiencing them. Just for the record, my focus on my unexpected giggling had something to do with the time and place. I'm still not a giggle person, AT ALL, but I did have a little incident. So, I was probably through two thirds of the book when the horrendous girly sound came out of my mouth. As if he knew it was going to happen, my dad chose that moment to enter the room where I was reading. It took me about five seconds to control the fucking thing. I'm not sure if he noticed, or if I was going to do it again with the following words, but I stopped reading and started fooling around with my computer until he was gone. Fun fact: I didn't giggle again with that scene. Not so fun fact: I did it again a few pages later. I was such a lost cause. The Camila we all know and hate was gone while reading Losing It. Puff. Lost it. (No pun intended when I first wrote it.) I'd call this kind of books my guilty pleasure, except I don't know why I should feel guilty about something that makes me happy. “We want what we can't have. It's human nature.”- Alive or Undead ~ 2013 -