Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) - Jamie McGuire Originally posted at Alive or Undead.Rating: 5My opinion: I'm going to start by saying that I've been putting this one off for quite a long time. I was promised angst, tears, anger. The book was NOTHING like I expected. But I did get angst, tears, anger, and a clear and undeniable desire to rip the pages off the book. It was... refreshing. Outstanding. Real. While talking about The Great Gatsby, John Green said something along the lines of "you don't need to like the characters to like the book". And, even though I personally liked most of the main and secondary characters, some people who read Beautiful Disaster tended to forget this. All characters are very complicated. No one is flawless, especially the main ones. And this, the thing lots loathe, is what makes the book so special and unique. McGuire knows no boundaries, doesn't try to please the audience. No, she shows us an image. She makes us really see the reality in it. That is what people criticize so much about this book, how real it is. Travis' anger, Mick's gambling and resent, Finch's smoking, Abby's need of safety, the Maddoxs' way of coping with the woman of the house's death. These are all real issues from the real world. Sometimes we dismiss them, we deny them, we try to pretend they aren't there. But they are, and not thinking about them doesn't make them go away. This book is raw. You say, "This is not how a guy should be like!" or "I cannot believe she stayed with him!", but that's how things work a handful of times. There are tons of guys like Travis, and they're not necessarily bad. There are tons of girls like Abby, and they're not necessarily bad. There are tons of dads like Mick, AND THEY ARE NOT NECESSARILY BAD (key word: necessarily). And there are, for sure, tons of relationships like Travis and Abby's, and not only they're not necessarily bad, it can really be true love and it can really work. Does this mean I condone this kind of relationships or attitudes? Not at all. But you shouldn't judge and bash things without trying to understand, and live, and do something about them first. You can ignore this book and its contents all you want, but can you deny the beauty of the reality in this disaster? Jamie McGuire surely couldn't, and you shouldn't.“I knew the second I met you that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it wasn’t something about you at all. It was just you.”