Clockwork Princess - Cassandra Clare Rate: 4.5 To be completly honest, I wasn't expecting this. I was really looking forward to read this book, but there was a part of me that was ready for disappointment from the plot and an unbearable pain from the love stories (Will and Tessa, basically). Instead, I got a rather interesting closure to a story I hadn't really cared about during previous books, the introduction of new amazing characters, the opportunity to fall in love with some of the old ones and a completly different kind of unbearable heartbreak, one that came from learning the true meaning of friendship, family, and bonds that go even deeper than that.“Most people are lucky to have even one great love in their life. You have found two.” The thing I have always hated about the love triangle is that there's no one to blame. It's one of those almost nonexistent times in literature when you don't want to punch any of the three characters until they come to their senses. Actually, you want to beat Cassandra Clare to death for making you feel this tragic, yet beautiful story. There was a time when I thought that you could not love two people the same way, not without loving the other less. This book changed my opinion on the subject. One cannot deny that Tessa's connection to each of the boys is utterly different. With Will she shares an understanding and a fierce passion that defies both her heart and mind. But then when she's next to Jem there's a sense of serenity and gentleness the other boy's broken soul is too far gone to reach. They're two very distinct kinds of love, but love at last. I recognize that, though both of them can give her a big amount of happiness and more, I prefer the first one. When thinking of Will, she expresses "No one understands what you feel but me, and no one understands what I feel but you, so can we not feel together?" Being a person who has felt lonely and misunderstood her whole life, I would give anything for this kind of love. Knowing and being known for a person, that's something not everybody finds. That's what Jem and Tessa have. But actually having felt what the other has, the agony behind the scars they try so hard to hide, that's priceless. Sometimes, too much of the same fire just burns everything. But, while both Tessa and Will have been deprived from so much, they still have love in their hearts. It is both the pain and the ability to appreciate joy that makes them such a perfect couple. It may not be the same, but I feel like I did—and still do—with Clary, Simon and Jace. I think that Clary and Simon's strong relationship is both great and absolutely necessary for the story, but it doesn't spring from a place of desire. For me, it's that way with Jem and Tessa. Obviously, many fans and even Cassie don't think the same, but that doesn't change how I, personally, feel about it.“If there is a life after this one,” he said, “let me meet you in it, James Carstairs.”“There will be other lives.” Jem held his hand out, and for a moment, they clasped hands, as they had done during their parabatai ritual, reaching across twin rings of fire to interlace their fingers with each other. “The world is a wheel,” he said. “When we rise or fall, we do it together.” I think the worst part is not that Tessa actually loves both of them equally, but the fact that Will and Jem love each other more than anything. I guess that when I read The Mortal Instruments I missed the power of this bond, the one being parabatai forges. While I sobbed during several moments in the book, there was only one I truly cried and it was the moment I realized what losing a part of your soul really meant. Because that's what Will and Jem are, a part of each other's most inner selves. I think Tessa's love for them, and their love for her, had clouded me. When we see flashbacks of when they first met and then them across the years, two broken boys learning how to love again, it tears me to pieces. Just remembering how simple things were for them in the beginning of the series, in spite of the fact that one was dying and the other thought he was cursed, brings me to tears. What they share is something so pure, so unbreakable, that gives me hope and the biggest of fears at the same time. I cannot describe what I felt for this connection, but I can say that I've never felt this way about a non-romantic relationship. It goes beyond the bonds of blood and lust, it's the simplest of trust and affection, but more powerful than anything I've read of or seen before. Hands down to Cassie, for being able to create such a thing is something not every writer has within them. With a seraph blade in my hand, I am more than just Cecily Herondale, youngest of three, daughter of good parents, someday to make an advantageous marriage and give the world children. I am Cecily Herondale, Shadowhunter, and mine is a high and glorious position. Glory. Such an odd word, something women are not supposed to want, but is not our queen triumphant? Was not Queen Bess called Gloriana? One of the things that caught me totally off guard was Cecily. I mean, I expected to like any relative of Will, but I fell completly in love with her. She reminded me of what Isabelle would have been at that age if she had been born apart from the world of Shadowhunters (which is kind of ironic if you think about it). Cecy is fierce, smart, confident and determinated, more like stubborn. She has a lot of her brother in her, those emotions capable of burning down entire cities. I think that what really makes them different are the scars Will carries. Even though Cecily had to suffer not only the death of a sister but the departure of a brother, she never had to refrain the expression of those feelings. But, unlike her broken brother, she never actually understood the desertion of him. That certainly changed, even drove her to leave her home and go to the Institute to demand answers. And this is what make her bond with no one less than Gabriel Lightwood. If Cecily as a character was amazing, her relationship with Gabriel is something outstanding. After the events that happen in the first chapters of the book, Gabriel is lost. Like Will, he's not entirely sure who he is. He's ashamed, scared and really, REALLY lonely. Cecily feels as lonely as him, given that neither of their brothers pay them much attention. There's both an understanding and a difference as much as a rather sexual tension between these two. After all, they're both quite pretty. But what bonds them more than anything is the strenght they give each other. Cecily is the first person to ever have faith in him to make right choices (not that I blame the others after the terrible ones Gabriel has done in previous books). At the same time, he shows her the choice she, unlike him or Jessamine, was given by her parents at birth whether to love or to fight. She gives him the strenght to be the man he wants to be, untainted by his last name, and he helps her realize how deep her desire to be a Shadowhunter runs. It was beautiful and incredibly fun to read, but it bothered me that they weren't introduced until now and had more moments. I give it a five. The native talent is certainly there. What it requires is practice. Other secondary characters were certainly delighting. Sophie and Gideon's story was given a more important focus than in Clockwork Prince, and for that I'm grateful. They're so incredibly cute, without the share of pain Will and Tessa have or the epic badassness Gabriel and Cecily radiate. Despite the social status, they're so simple and sweet my heart melted with every one of their scenes. I really love that Gideon knows what he wants and doesn't hesitates to act on it, his awkwardness with women aside. Another thing I found nice was Sophie's want to become a Shadowhunter. She is definitely a stong woman, the same as Charlotte. Once more, we saw why the head of the London Institute is where she is. And, once more, she has to fight for people to see her as the leader in spite of being a woman, a very short one. What I wasn't expecting was Henry's strenght. I have always loved him—how couldn't I?—but now we see that's he not just brilliant, he's also very brave and loving. And has a horrible taste for baby names.“All Lightwoods look the same to me.” If you don't think that was the best line of the book, you're lying. Magnus Bane is there again, to make everything happen. Honestly, what would anyone do without him? Everybody disregards him in both sagas, nobody truly acknowledges that he's the key to everything. And he is part of the best bromances of all times. I have come to believe that The Infernal Divices is actually the sad love story of Magnus and Will. But if so, they both cheat on each other with Henry this book. I did love the fact that Magnus was the first to admire Henry's inventions. Not only that, but also encourage him, telling him that those who were called mad were the ones that changed history. Everything about Magnus is perfect in this book, from his witty comments to his wise person. Because if there's something you get to know from the book is how much immortality affected this warlock. It both broke my heart and made me respect him more. However, I had two main problems with this book. It's is so much better than the last two, but it still commits fatal errors (and I'm not talking about how Gideon and Gabriel's name were wrong twice). First of all, and this is a very personal opinion, I feel like Cassie's books are kind of dense. While some may appreciate this, I can't stand it. There's way too much information and description. Go away, Tolkien lovers, I know not everyone feels the same! But, like I once read in one of my favorite books, movies show you the pink house. A good book tells you there's a pink house and lets you paint some of the finishing touches, maybe choose the roof style, park your own car out front. As crazy and impossible as it may sound, I feel like Cassandra tries too hard to show us the house. Sometimes just letting us know the house is there is enough, Cass! Other than this, I think she teased tragedy and depair and then setted the ending so it wouldn't be completly horrible for anyone. She gave us the best case-scenary and a part of me was bothered by that. the other ones keeps thelling em I would have complained if it'd have been otherwise. Once in a while, complete heartbreak is good. Just look at Suzanne Collins. But I was satisfied. The ending—not the rest of the book—didn't feel epic. And I'm not even going to talk about the Mortmain plot because I've never cared and probably never will.“You know that feeling, when you are reading a book, and you know that it is going to be a tragedy; you can feel the cold and darkness coming, see the net drawing close around the characters who live and breathe on the pages. But you are tied to the story as if being dragged behind a carriage, and you cannot let go or turn the course aside.” What an incredibly accurate quote, Cassandra Clare. I'm pretty sure you were laughing while writing it. I like to picture you in a dark room, in front of a computer, typing and laughing like a psycopath, with your husband making comments on how you don't have enough scenes with Simon and Magnus. After all, they're the ones who are gonna live forever. Well, maybe not the only ones... And, in spite of everything, we read your books. We start with City of Bones, think it's a cool story about a girl finding out who she is, looking for her mother and falling for a blonde hottie and then, BANG, THEY'RE SIBLINGS! You know you should stop, you know you shouldn't agree with incest, but you can't help it. When you finish that, you need more runes, more witty comments, more Lightwoods, more Magnus, more cats. And, somehow, you end up where I am now. In front of the screen, crying like a little baby over some bitch and her incredibly artistic loves of her life, and, of course, Magnus and Church. Because Magnus and Church are just always there. And it's all over. Will is never going to make another Demon Pox song, Jem is never going to play his violin, Tessa is never going to defend her precious fictional characters, Henry is never going to create another brilliant invention, Charlotte is never going to stand for what she believes, Gabriel is never going to hide behind his wall, Sophie is never going to hit Gideon over food, Cecily is not going to kick demon ass or just ordinary ass (Gabriel's ass?). When I began this book, I wanted it to be over. I tried re-reading the previous ones, but I couldn't get into it. Like I said before, they're kind of dense. But at some point, I'm not sure exactly when, I didn't just not want it to end, I needed it not to be over. I remember Cassie saying once over the past month that this wasn't just the end of a saga, it was the end of a fandom. Sure, the books are always going to be there for us to read them over and over, but no more books are going to come out. It's not just the characters that are over, it's us. No more theories, no more emotional breakdowns over not knowing what's next, no more prayer circle moments. We still have City of Heavenly Fire and The Dark Artifices, but it's not the same. Over the past week, I've seen at least fifteen people—those who lived—announcing that they had no idea what they were going to do next. I feel like it's the end of an era, like all those ship wars and WhoTheFuckIsBrotherZachariah?! discussions are something I never knew I needed. There's a very popular song that says 'You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness'. Hello, I'm Camila. I'm an addict. I am even pushing this review so it doesn't end, for Rowling's sake! I don't know how to end this. I'm not sure if I should thank Cassandra or set her house on fire. I'm lost. I hadn't realized until I wrote this just how lost I am. So, see you all in Hell?